Friday, July 14, 2006

Why Punch and Judy? I dunno. I don't even like Punch and Judy shows. At least I don't think I do. To tell the truth I'm not even sure I've watched one all the way through.

Hmm. I think this idea has something to do with standing in a Punch and Judy booth in a museum in Brighton last summer and putting a Punch Puppet on my hand. Something felt horribly right about it. What is it about Punch, as a character at any rate, that's so appealing and why, oh why, did I think I could work with the evil old goat? What is it that makes Punch universal and endlessly fascinating for generation after generation.

Hold on! Is Punch and Judy actually still poplular? Are children and adults fascinated by it? Am I assuming too much here? For all I know it may no longer be popular. When did you last see a Punch and Judy show?

I need help!!! I need to see a show!!! I need to watch the audience reaction, assuming that there is an audience and not just a couple of ragged donkeys staring on through rheumy eyes as a doddery old bloke with a mangy dog and wood wormy puppets hits himself over the head with a slap-stick in a patched, sun bleached booth.

I want to know if my assumptions are correct. If there is an audience I want to see there reactions, hear their comments.

Perhaps a trip to the seaside is in order.


Did you know Samuel Pepys recorded the fact that he went to a Punch and Judy show in his diary?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home